No. of Recommendations: 0
Go to USA?
Stay home or go somewhere else?

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 20
I would go without a second thought, as would most people.

But perhaps you shouldn't go, after all, you might be too close to someone whose hands get burnt when they put them too close to the fire.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Your poll may be skewed by the fact that the majority of us posters are American, but, hey, we welcome you.

America is a safe place. We're worried right now about security -- about our futures -- about how everything will turn out. We are a country that was built on the principle of freedom -- the first modern democracy in the world -- and we see now that freedom has its costs. We let those terrorists in here freely.

So, we're nervous, 'cause its hard trying to figure out how to protect ourselves while still maintaining our principle. No one in this country (well, most of us at least) want less freedom. That which we take for granted here is very precious to us.

Is there a risk coming to America? Perhaps, but I argue that it is no greater risk than going anywhere else.

Be cautious and aware, but don't stop living your life. In the end, everything will work out for the best -- there are many more people in this world who are peaceful, kind, and tolerant, but unaccepting of terrorism and the like than there are people who support such actions.

Skiing the American Rockies is fun. Enjoy yourself.

CPAScott
Your poll may be skewed by the fact that the majority of us posters are American, but, hey, we welcome you.

I know that. That's why I posted here. I don't want some Brit or German telling me about the USA. I want to hear from Americans.

Our main contact with the USA is CNN. Every day we watch guys in white space suits and what appears to be Army guys and police running around everywhere. I know the cable news channels are addicted to FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Disaster) but my wife is starting to think the entire USA is going thru what we see on CNN. She also thinks Yucca Mountain ("temporary" USA nuclear waste garbage dump near Las Vegas) is a top terrorist target.

I'm fairly certain that life goes on as usual in the USA. People are going to work. Kids are going to school. Families go to church, have barbecues, and watch or play sports on the weekends.

The airfairs and vacation packages are cheap and getting more so every day. I just want to warm up my old lady's cold feet a bit <g>.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I can confirm that my life is going on more or less as normal. No spacesuits here, thank God. =)

Although my heart, of course, is with those who are dealing with these "scares".

Thanks!
Joe
Visit the Southeast! =)

Panic?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Watching CNN is like watching a Hollywood movie. In order to get people to watch, they sensationalize the news. People are not running around in space suits and with gas masks. Everyone here is going on with their normal activities.
Our main contact with the USA is CNN. Every day we watch guys in white space suits and what appears to be Army guys and police running around everywhere. I know the cable news channels are addicted to FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Disaster) but my wife is starting to think the entire USA is going thru what we see on CNN.

We have CNN on all day at work. There are two television sets in my work area, I can see one however I sit at my desk. CNN is HYPE. If there were no news, CNN would have nothing to report, so they "make" news where none exists.

When there is "real" news, CNN does a great job covering it. I wish I'd been in the office on 9/11, the news coverage would have been great.

But there is not "Breaking News" 24/7. Everytime I have glanced at CNN today, the caption relates to anthrax. There is other news, but CNN is continuing to hammer "anthrax".

Cosmos
where's that remote?
The problem with all news outlets, not just CNN, is that they don't really have enough hard news to fill up the time they've alloted to cover the ongoing terrorist crisis, so we get anthrax, anthrax, anthrax till the cows come home. Also, fear sells. Always has, always will. Get people interested in the possibility that their mail might kill them and they will watch your coverage with *great attention.*

Yes, life is going on quite as normal in most places in the U.S. The tourism industry, of course, is staggering. Had I the money to take a vacation right now, I would totally do it - fewer crowds.

EdWe
No. of Recommendations: 1
Question: if you were us (wife four kids aged 4,6,11,&14 and me) would you go to the USA at this time?........................................

Tony,As a Canadian(the cold place just north of USA), I would rather travel to the US, than to Mexico and as far as I know, nobody has attacked Mexico lately.

Pete
Personally I don't understand what the panic is all about either. It's just CNN getting those good old ratings up. Most people I know are just going about their business as usual. But I don't watch TV. Although the radio tries to do a good job of worrying everybody. I'm not afraid of my mail nor am I afraid that a plane is going to ram into my house or the courthouse where I work. I say visit while the prices are right.
Watching CNN is like watching a Hollywood movie. In order to get people to watch, they sensationalize the news. People are not running around in space suits and with gas masks. Everyone here is going on with their normal activities.

I had to take this opportunity to plug MSNBC.

I cant say that they never sensationalize events, but I can say that IMHO, they are beating everyone else hands down.

Since the bombing, they've had every breaking story a few minutes faster, they seem to have guests that have more relavent perspective, etc...

When news breaks, I've been flipping back and forth between them and CNN to view the contrast and have been amazed.

In the Gulf War, CNN was the god of news orgs. Looks like the acquisition by Time Warner has taken its toll and then some.

Golfwaymore
golfwaymore writes,

<<<<Watching CNN is like watching a Hollywood movie. In order to get people to watch, they sensationalize the news. People are not running around in space suits and with gas masks. Everyone here is going on with their normal activities. >>>>

I had to take this opportunity to plug MSNBC.

I cant say that they never sensationalize events, but I can say that IMHO, they are beating everyone else hands down.

Since the bombing, they've had every breaking story a few minutes faster, they seem to have guests that have more relavent perspective, etc...

When news breaks, I've been flipping back and forth between them and CNN to view the contrast and have been amazed.

In the Gulf War, CNN was the god of news orgs. Looks like the acquisition by Time Warner has taken its toll and then some.

I think it was the acquisition of Time Warner by AOL that finally did CNN in. <grin>

intercst
Since we've frozen the terrorist's assetts, I doubt they could afford lift tickets ;)

Don't believe the hype. We're fine. I probably aught to be scared of some nut giving me a cold but I'm just not. I'm blocks away from ground zero and haven't been able to muster up the fear we're supposed to be experiencing. Its still just pretty much anger with me and those I talk to. I fantacise about what I'd do with one of these punks if I caught him. I'd definately make sure he couldn't enjoy those 72 virgins.

nmckay
still in manhattan
Our plan is to go to Las Vegas from Dec thru Feb to take advantage of the great skiing in Nevada and Utah.

Remember, the Olympics are in Utah in Feb. Might make traveling in that neck of the woods a bit more difficult.
The "panic" exists on CNN (and maybe the other news networks) only. I see no panic here in Texas- hell, if you don't turn on the news, you wouldn't know anything was different than before 9/11.

jb

....oh no, someone put anthrax in my coffee!

er, I guess its just "Equal", sorry for the unnecessary panic! :)
You may want to go here and check the latest news before you decide

http://www.theonion.com/onion3734/index.html

Network Programming Dominated By Surreality TV
LOS ANGELES— A new "surreality TV" trend has been sweeping network programming in recent weeks, Daily Variety reported Monday. "Not content with such reality fare as Spy TV, Big Brother 2, and Fear Factor, the networks are taking it to the next level," Variety TV reporter James Leff said. "And it's paying off: Viewers have been glued to their televisions to watch such surreal shows as NBC Nightly News and Nightline, a recent episode of which discussed the possibility of the entire eastern seaboard being wiped out by germ warfare."

You may want to go here and check the latest news before you decide

http://www.theonion.com/onion3734/index.html

Network Programming Dominated By Surreality TV
LOS ANGELES— A new "surreality TV" trend has been sweeping network programming in recent weeks, Daily Variety reported Monday. "Not content with such reality fare as Spy TV, Big Brother 2, and Fear Factor, the networks are taking it to the next level," Variety TV reporter James Leff said. "And it's paying off: Viewers have been glued to their televisions to watch such surreal shows as NBC Nightly News and Nightline, a recent episode of which discussed the possibility of the entire eastern seaboard being wiped out by germ warfare."

Hope this helps,

OxBeaux

I am headed to California and Florida for two weeks. It hasn't gotten that cold here in the UK, but I still prefer the sun and visiting family is always a good excuse.

Happy trails.

Howard
Absolutely Yes.
I'd say thinks are over hyped. I live in DC and went and toured the Capitol the day Daschle got his contaminated letter.
Now is the time to stretch your RE dollars. Las Vegas is over built and under booked. You should be able to bargain for a very good rate there. The ski resorts will also be under booked except near the Olympics.

Good traveling
No. of Recommendations: 5
Question: if you were us (wife four kids aged 4,6,11,&14 and me) would you go to the USA at this time?

(My bolding).

I'd say... stay at home. You wouldn't like the things we stand for up here.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15732406