Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
My friend, Bill, emailed me and proposed we get together for dinner "early next week" (which was last week). (Prior to his email, I had not suggested any dinner idea; he initiated the dinner idea with his email.) I replied that I'd definitely like to have dinner, but couldn't on those days and suggested Monday night, Dec. 5th. He emailed back, and here is the entire email: "Dec. 5 isn't good for me. Pick a different date."

Bill's response did not quite square with my social experiences as an adult throughout the decades. My romp through life to date tells me this: it's now HIS turn to toss out some other date -- or at least hint at some chunk of time when he's free. Otherwise, I'm in the dark, throwing a dart at a board, hoping it lands on his free night -- only HE knows when he's free, and HE is the one who suggested the damn dinner. To quote Walter in "The Big Lebowski," . . . "Am I wrong, Dude? AM I WRONG?"

(For those interested, I'm a straight guy. And Bill's the same. We're not all that close as friends, getting together for a meal about three to four times a year.)
You're not at all wrong. He should have suggested alternative time(s) or date(s).
I agree with no. 1 above and go one step further: Bill's response was rude and stupid.
I disagree with no. 1 & no. 2: Bill's response was fine/acceptable.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.