Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Situation: My mother has an 20 year old IRA account that she has no records for. She made both deductible and nondeductible contributions to her IRA from about 1980 to 1986. She rolled over the account in 1991.

Problem: She did not report her non-deductible contributions with her income taxes. She has no idea how much she contributed in which years and a succession of banks holding the IRA were bought out and disappeared years ago.

Question: Is there any way to avoid paying taxes on the original non-deductible contributions she made?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.