No. of Recommendations: 3
An op/ed about Svetlana Khorkina and Gary Hall:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5769453/
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks...that was fun to read.

No. of Recommendations: 7
I failed to buy into it as soon as he started ripping on the South Korean gymnasts. They have a legitimate gripe, and the appeals process is there for a reason.

Good thing, too. The ruling came down today that the South Koreans are right--their guy should have had the extra tenth, and should have been awarded the gold. Results won't change after the fact, but they were right on.

To put it another way, if the American had been shafted like this and filed a protest, this same writer would be bitching about everything is a fix and Americans are being prejudiced against.

Not a terribly good article, in my mind.

--WP
No. of Recommendations: 1
I failed to buy into it as soon as he started ripping on the South Korean gymnasts.

I agree with you here. I haven't about Kim Dae-eun's (silver medalist) beef so i don't know what's going on there, but i do think Yang Tae-young (bronze medalist) has a legitimate complaint. Although, from what i've seen/heard this morning, he should be raking his coach over the coals for not catching it during the competition.

(Apparently, the US coach did protest a few starting values during the competition and other coaches may have, too. I haven't yet heard why the South Korean coach didn't in this case.)

It's a crying shame for all involved.

But Svetlana and Gary do need to wipe their noses and move on. Grow up, quit blaming others for your losses and find a more positive way to gain attention.

(On that note, it was great to see Gary's do so well in the 50m free yesterday.)
Although, from what i've seen/heard this morning, he should be raking his coach over the coals for not catching it during the competition.

(Apparently, the US coach did protest a few starting values during the competition and other coaches may have, too. I haven't yet heard why the South Korean coach didn't in this case.)

According to an article I read on Yahoo!, the South Korean coaches claim they did protest during the meet, and were told they'd have to wait and file a protest afterward. Then afterward, they were told it was too late.

Maybe they're just trying to cover their tails, though.

--WP
According to an article I read on Yahoo!, the South Korean coaches claim they did protest during the meet, and were told they'd have to wait and file a protest afterward. Then afterward, they were told it was too late.

Wow. If that's the case, they have a super-duper mondo complaint, in my book.

This just sucks all around (no pun intended). I'm all for crooked/idiot judges getting called out, like with the ice skating in Salt Lake City. I just hate when the athletes get caught in the cross-fire.
It is also sad that an American official was involved.
For all we know, there could have been some intentional chicanery involved and not merely incompetence by the judges and/or coaches. But this deal sucks either way. Who's to say that if the Korean guy had gotten the right score that the judges wouldn't have upped Paul Hamm's score so he would win anyway, and who's to say that if the Korean guy had gotten the right score that any of the gymnasts who followed wouldn't have made changes in their routines to try to upgrade their scores, and who's to say that if the Korean guy had gotten the right score that the following gymnasts wouldn't have done better or worse than what they did due to trying harder to beat out the higher score? There are too many variables involved to try to make an after the fact correction to an in-progress screwup with any degree of confidence in getting the results right, so the best they can probably do is award a second gold like they did with the skating fiasco.
And who's to say that if the Korean hadn't done just a little better on his routine it wouldn't have mattered what the starting score was? The judges screwed up and I feel bad for the guy, but Paul Hamm fell down on his vault. He didn't take a step or a hop, he fell. And no matter how well he may have done following that, he would not have been in medal contention if his competitors didn't make mistakes to allow him back in the door. Personally, if it were me, I would be so embarrassed, that I would not have brought up the start score. I would have just let things go.
And who's to say that if the Korean hadn't done just a little better on his routine it wouldn't have mattered what the starting score was?

Because .10 is a huge amount in this type of competion. In this case it's not an issue that the Korean 'should have done a little better'. They have a legitimate complaint.

They have a legitimate complaint.

Never said that they don't. Just saying that they had a perfect oppurtunity to shut the door on Hamm and they blew it. Their complaint is legit, but that doesn't make it any less whimpy.
My fave line:

Khorkina may not have gone gold in the all-around, but she's locked up gold, platinum and plutonium in bitching.
They have a legitimate gripe, and the appeals process is there for a reason.

Part of what I had heard was that they didn't follow the process. There is a time and place to file and after the medals have been awarded is not it.

Part of the appeals process is arguing about the start scores while there is something to do about it other than removing a medal from someone's neck because you messed up on another apparatus and let it get to close.

Maybe they're just trying to cover their tails, though.

I suspect they are trying to cover. Others argued start values during the competition and were heard.
the South Korean coaches claim they did protest during the meet, and were told they'd have to wait and file a protest afterward. Then afterward, they were told it was too late.

From what I have read, they do have a legitimate complaint. But no, they did not try to protest during the meet and get told to wait. Even if someone said those words (which I doubt), no coach with any exerience whatsoever would buy that line. Seriously, these are not coaches that were randomly pulled off the street. They have been at international competition before. They have been to the Olympics before. It isn't like the "protest right away" rule is brand new this year or just for the Olympics either. It is standard operating procedure. Heck, most protests are filed within one minute of a score being shown. Corrected scores are frequently flashed before the next event starts. I'm guessing that the coach simply didn't notice right away and someone pointed it out later.

(I did think that the article was a little harsh on the point of the S. Kor. team though. But they really should have caught it earlier. And I think Paul Hamm did a great job of not taking sides and being a good sport in his interview after event finals.)