No. of Recommendations: 3
So the new house has popcorn ceilings throughout. Mrs. Goofy and I don't care one way or another, we spend so little time looking at the ceilings ;)

However in the laundry room I took down some cabinets and a built in desktop to make way for a storage area and had to move a ceiling light to accommodate the new wall. Filling the toggle bolt holes was trivial but I needed to patch where the connector box was, so I did. Then had to paint the whole area.

The paint roller began pulling off the popcorn in sheets with the very first roll, and after consulting various youtube videos and internet suggestions, thinned the paint and did exactly what the various magazines, diy-ers, et. al told me to do. The popcorn still came off in splotches, although not as badly. I left it overnight intending to deal with it in the morning.

The next day I walked in and the popcorn was hanging in strings from the ceiling; it looked like the inside of a microwave when the pasta explodes. What a mess.

Speaking of mess, I elected to cut a line and scrap off the popcorn, it will only be in a closet after all, so anyone offended that the room and the closet ceiling don't match can go sit on a frog for all I care. But scraping it off? Whew! And this was for a smallish 8x4 area, I can imagine what it looks like when people decide to do a whole room or worse, their whole house.

Who thought popcorn on the ceiling was a good idea, anyway?

PS: They sell spray cans of popcorn ceiling stuff at the home stores, point and spray. It fizzes and spritzes and goes everywhere except where you want it. Double mess, which I apparently deserved due to some sort of popcorn karma somewhere in a previous life.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.