Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hopefully this is not too strange of a question:

For 1997 I'm in a low tax bracket (since I was a full time student).

For 1998 I will be in a higher tax bracket (graduating and starting to work).

I just made a $2000 IRA contribution for 1997. - Which is 100% deductable because of my low income.

I plan to convert that IRA into a ROTH in 1998.

Is it possible to not take a deduction on that 1997 $2000 IRA so when I convert it over in 1998 I won't be charged the higher tax rate?

Brady Ho
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.