No. of Recommendations: 6
Good article in Business Insider explaining some of the dynamics of the TV market. But on a larger scale, I think this is the direction a lot of consumer tech is going.

Ad-funded....or partially ad-funded.

This is basically TTD's entire thesis. Digital ads and programmatic buying of advertising is the future.

Other companies that might benefit are Data Analytics companies (AYX, DATA) to help companies analyze opportunties/results. I'm sure there's more too.

My question: at what point do consumers say enough? And get tired of the ads? I think we're a long way from that. Something like 80% of Hulu's customers choose the ad-subsidized model to save $4.00 a month. Same deal with Spotify.

Smart TVs can be sold at or near cost to consumers — which is great for consumers — because Vizio is able to monetize those TVs through data collection, advertising, and selling direct-to-consumer entertainment (movies, etc.) — which is less great for consumers.

In the BI article, there's a link to a Podcast interview with a Visio exec talking about the strategy more in depth.

"Or, as Baxter put it: "It's not just about data collection. It's about post-purchase monetization of the TV."

"Without that revenue stream, Baxter said, consumers would be paying more upfront cost. "We'd collect a little bit more margin at retail to offset it."

https://www.businessinsider.com/smart-tv-data-collection-adv...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.