Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.

This weekend, I'm doing two smokes. One of the times, I will have an empty rack. I was wondering if I could do about 10 pounds of potatoes in the smoker.

I'm thinking that I will rub them with a bit of oil and put them in for the last 2 or three hours.

Have any of you done this? Any suggestions?

Leana
Print the post Back To Top
Basically, you're doing baked potatoes. But at a lower temp than you'd use in an oven (probably). So it will take longer.

A quick google says that 2 hours is about right.

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-baked-potatoes/
I throw potatoes in the Traeger all the time when we're cooking stuff like chicken at higher temps. We do chicken at 350 for about :45, so it's perfect for taters. Big russets or reds I cut in half, lightly olive oil, and put on foil face down.

Potatoes are done if tender when pierced with a fork to see if it slides out easily and you can check the internal temperature reaches 210 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer to test for doneness.
I was wondering if I could do about 10 pounds of potatoes in the smoker.

I'm thinking that I will rub them with a bit of oil and put them in for the last 2 or three hours.

Seriously, ten pounds? That's a lot, but, sure, it can be done.

Have any of you done this? Any suggestions?

Baked taters in the grill, and/or, smoker? Yes Ma'am, numerous times. Comes out well every time.

Cut taters & oil, foiled taters & butter in the grill, and/or, smoker? Yes Ma'am, numerous times. Comes out well every time. :-)

But, that's always been five or fewer taters at once.

Ten pounds of taters? No Ma'am, but if'n I did, I'd do them the same way I've ever done any type of taters in the past...Pretend I'm using an oven...Which isn't difficult to do with the WSMB since it actually works just like an oven. Temps at º250 will take longer, temps at º350 work better, and temps closer to º425 cook faster.

Umm, since you're discussing ten pounds of taters, you might wanna add some "lag" time for whatever temp range you decide to use because of the fact you'll be adding ten pounds of "solid meat" to the smoker all at once. Start timing the cook when your thermometer returns to your desired temp...Plus or Minus 10 mins. *a guess on my part because I seriously dunno

Good luck!!

And, if you would, Please, report back. It's rare that I cook for a large crowd, but it does happen. So, I'd love to hear how this worked out for you.

Bill
Have done it on the Traeger and turned out great. Also sliced and roasted with other vegs. Give it a nece smoked flavor.
Hey Bill,

Good to hear from you.

Because of circumstances, (the weather and the oven was already on) we ended up doing the potatoes in the oven. The pulled pork in the smoker over night was a big success!

Leana
No. of Recommendations: 2
Good to hear from you.

Howdy Ma'am, and, thank you. Good to see you too.

Because of circumstances, (the weather and the oven was already on) we ended up doing the potatoes in the oven.

Roger that.

The pulled pork in the smoker over night was a big success!

Cool beans!! Thanks for letting us know.

Y'all take care!

Bill