Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I like the list that Mr. Buckley has put together and is posted over at SI listing industries with hte potential of forming a tornado and therefore creating Gorilla breeding grounds. I am wondering is what other's opions are regarding regarding the flat panel display market. With the advent of OLED (organic light emmiting display) technology--could the be a mist growing within which one might find a gorilla?

It seems to me that when bright clear displays can be made that are thin, flexible, transparent, use little power, etc., Applications for displays could expand in a big way. Add patent ownership for OLED technology and (probably most important) an economic means of production for long lasting ones and perhaps ...?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi mstew,

Do you know any players in this area? If I remember correctly, Sharp (of Japan) has biggest market share in all things LCD/Flat panel displays. But unfortunately, Sharp is not traded in US. It only trades in Japan market and is up about 100% last year.

Regards,
S-D
I too think of Sharp as the current big player but am not aware of their OLED status. Some chat about Universal Display Corp. (PANL) on another board got me thinking about this market and I am just beginning to look into it. I put up this post to see if I could get any direction that could accelerate my search. I will post updates to what I discover and offer my opinion as to whether OLED can be defined as a discontinuous technology as compared to LCD and LED which seem to be the current standard technologies. (I'll also chck my spelling prior to posting in the future)
MStew
My fisrt post here ....

Shetosdad ..... look at CREE ....
No. of Recommendations: 3
mstew,

That list of gorilla breeding grounds you saw is quite old and should be updated. Close to a year ago I also asked about flat-panel displays. I don't remember the conclusion we came to it as a potential gorilla or royalty play.

What are the leading companies in OLED technology? Are they proprietary, open technologies?

--Mike Buckley

No. of Recommendations: 1
I started looking into FPD as a potential Gorrila ground about a week ago so not much yet but I am going to stay on it. The companies involved that I've discovered so far are:
Eastman Kodak, Planar Display, Idemitsu-Kosan, Universal Display Corporation, Pioneer, FED Corporation, Light Emitting Polymers (LEP), Cambridge Display Technologies', Uniax Polymer Electronics, Seiko-Epson, Hewlett Packard , Philips Components
I don't know if the technology is open yet but there certianly some proprietary ones (the above companies tout there patents) One thing is certain, the chasm still lies in front of this technology so the issue I am focusing on is whether this has potential as a displacing technology in this industry NOT on who may be a gorilla.

I only have about 6 or 7 hours per week for such research but I pln to stick with it until I can offer a supported opinion.
MStew

I read this article a long time ago. Good thing i bookmarked it in case i ever wanted to read it again. It contains lots of good info and about some of the cool new display technologies some companies have been working on.

http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/ColinCordner/ColinCordner1.html

Thanks for the link beg. I just posted an update to my search at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1360002000112000&sort=id Still a lot more to learn though.
MStew
Hi,

anybody looked into SIMG ? No matter what flat screen technology you use you have to control it. They seem to be the only company to offer chips for DVI.

Ron