No. of Recommendations: 0
If you're thinking of buying shares in a single state muni bond fund...

I read an article in the WSJ a while ago, I think it was on December 5...which said some single state muni bond funds were holding a lot of debt from Puerto Rico. Some of the numbers were very high...I believe in excess of 25% of the funds' portfolios.

The article listed specific funds. You might find the article with a google search.

Anyways, don't let the name of a muni bond fund fool you. You might find yourself owning a lot of Puerto Rico debt instead of debt from your city/county/state.

Bill Gross was on TV today, gave his two cents that he didn't think Puerto Rico would be allowed to default. And he mentioned buying 5-year Mexico debt which was paying about 5%.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Anyways, don't let the name of a muni bond fund fool you. You might find yourself owning a lot of Puerto Rico debt instead of debt from your city/county/state.
===================================
That's right - and I'd venture to say that most, if not all, of the single-state muni funds hold a lot of Puerto Rican bonds - the reason being that the fund's holidngs are TAX-EXEMPT for your state - not always FROM your state.

A lot of state-themed bond funds will also hold Virgin Islands, Guam, or D.C. bonds, for the same reason.

Bill
No. of Recommendations: 0
That's right - and I'd venture to say that most, if not all, of the single-state muni funds hold a lot of Puerto Rican bonds - the reason being that the fund's holidngs are TAX-EXEMPT for your state - not always FROM your state.

Most definitely not "all" -- I own NKX (slightly-leveraged California muni closed-end-fund), and its exposure to Puerto Rico bonds is only 0.5% (half a percent of the fund's assets under management).

I believe this low level of exposure is common among Nuveen's closed end funds, both the leveraged and non-leveraged ones, though I haven't researched such funds for States other than the one in which I reside.