Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I just had my physical, and my doctor has diagnosed me as pre-diabetic as I am at the low end boundary of the pre-diabetic range per the bloodwork. All the other numbers are good. I do have a family history of pre-diabetics as I remember my grandmother having her sugar be a touch high, and my brother tested high about 2 years ago, and so had to make some changes to his diet.

I've been doing some reading, and none of the risk factors associated with this condition apply to me. I am not obese (5"7" and weigh 140 pounds), I do not drink any sugary drinks (I either drink water or plain tea), I get lots of exercise (I play golf 4-5 times per week, and I walk and carry my bag; I go to the gym in the winter to be in condition for golf the rest of the year), I don't eat processed foods (I tend to be a scratch cook), and I already eat all the things I am supposed to eat (I generally have salad for lunch, and eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables). I do have ice cream once a week, and I drink a glass of wine probably 2-3 nights a week, but even the books that say to cut out alcohol say to cut down to once a day, and I am already well below that.

Everything I'm reading seems to focus on portion control in an effort to lead to weight loss, but although I could stand to lose 5 or even 10 pounds, I couldn't really stand to lose much more than that.

I do eat pasta maybe once every couple of weeks (more in the winter), and I eat white rice in the winter as stir-fry is my winter go-to meal. I have a bagel for breakfast, but it tends to be multi-grain or whole wheat, and on the rare occasions that I eat bread, it is whole wheat or oatmeal.

So I'm already eating the right diet and cannot find anything I should really be changing. The info from the doctor was completely useless, and so I have asked to see a nutritionist, which will happen in mid-September. But I'm impatient, and I want to make the changes now. I have already cut the wine down to one glass per week on the weekend, and I could get rid of that entirely if necessary. I'm not doing any ice cream during the week, but those are the only 'sugary' things I think I eat.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do or should be doing? I don't know how far below the lower limit I need to be, and I don't know how often they will check it.

Any helpful hints for someone just starting down this path?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.