Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
We've been discussing this over the past few months. Future RMDs vs ROTH. One author's take on it:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/10/pre-tax-vs-roth-401k-theres-...

While the base amount for Medicare Part B premiums is $170.10 for 2022, payments go up once income exceeds $91,000 ($182,000 for joint filers). The calculation uses MAGI from two years prior.

Roth withdrawals, however, won’t show up on tax returns, said Gessner, meaning retirees don’t have to worry about these distributions causing Medicare premium increases.

With my looming retirement, I'm going to have to start taking some actions soon. For example, it is common wisdom to move 401K funds after leaving a company. We've been making some post-tax contributions to IRAs, and some backdoor ROTH conversions. We should probably continue that, though AJ has been saying the rules are changing on that (as I recall), and of course they could continue to change in the coming years. So I will start having to pay attention to that**.

My priority right now is lining-up medical coverage. As of now, we have HSA accounts open. So we have that available, and I've read it can be used in clever ways even after we have no more earned income. Need to dig more. I'll probably go to an Obamacare exchange for coverage (already have a login).

1poorguy

**I didn't pay that close attention because the rules almost certainly were going to change, so I would have been learning something that would be obsolete by the time I got there.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.