Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/bayer-s-tumor-agnostic-c...

So I want to be a firm believer that eventually cancer will treated based on molecular/genetic signatures (ie, BRCA+ or ALK+, etc - also known as tumor agnostic) rather than guessed origin (lung, pancreatic, etc). LOXO and BPMC are leading this charge, and have some great dats to back this up. Frankly, tumor agnostic approaches were alot of my investing thesis for LOXO and BPMC.

Sadly, a few EU countries have declined to pay for LOXOs tumor agnostic approach. I can't quite figure out why, save for they don't want to pay a high price tag... Because the survival data is there!

This got me to thinking...

Im starting to wonder if social behavior/social economics will allow for a tumor agnostic approach. Meaning, it's easier to say, galvanize and market for funding for "pancreatic cancer" or "lung cancer" than, say, ALK+ or HER2- cancer. I'm not sure if we're ready for tumor agnostic treatment on population level.

Just pondering. I still like BPMC, but wonder if we're too early for tumor agnostic approaches to hit prime time in the next decade. Time will tell.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think it will take a while for newer generations to shift in approach and thinking. That article seemed to indicate that they are focused on the cost of the single drug but not looking at what the cost is if they follow the normal process of starting with Drug A and moving to Drug B if A doesn't work due to the cancer being classified by the region and not the genetic makeup.

Has there been a shift on any particular use case to go straight to a "Precision treatment recommendation" over the conventional approach? Or is it still start with what has always been but try a more targeted approach after the conventional approach fails?
No. of Recommendations: 0
Coming very late to the discussion....

I'm not familiar with these biotechs. But I think the impetus for change will come from the cancer institutions who increasingly approach difficult cases this way. When conventional treatment isn't achieving sufficient, or any, benefit, or there isn't any potential treatment, and the genetic profile of the tumor indicates a nontraditional treatment may benefit, that is suggested. I come across that regularly. In fact, that was a theoretical possibility raised for my husband's cancer, but the genetic analysis didn't produce any candidates. He's in remission with nivolumab though, so.....it's worked out!!

=sheila