No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello All,

I have a few questions about preferred stocks and I'd appreciate any help that folks could offer. (Or maybe someone could point me to a good websource that answers many of these questions? I've googled some things up, but you never know how factual things are on the internet...)

As I understand it, preferred stocks are issued at a par value (commonly $25) and with a set dividend. After a set term they can be called by the issuer.

My questions:

1. When looking at a preferred stock, how can you determine its par value? How can you determine its time to maturity? (I'm sure that this is the wrong term, since these aren't bonds; but frankly, I don't know a better term.) These must be SEC disclosed and available on EDGAR databases?

2. As I understand it, preferred stock gets its dividend payed preferentially, before common. Also, the dividend is guaranteed. If the company can't pay the dividend, they can let it lapse, but must make these missed payments at a later date. Is this correct? (I also understand that this isn't true for ALL preferred issues, just MOST. (?)

3. Once a preferred stock reaches "maturity", it can be called by the issuer at its original par value. But, what I'm not clear on, is how this affects the dividend. Is the dividend of a cumulative preferred still guaranteed past this date, or does it float once "maturity" is reached?

4. What is the general frequency with which preferreds are called? How much does this vary from comapny to company (probably a lot). Are there instances in which they can be voluntarily (or involuntarily) converted to common, rather than paid in cash.

Lots of questions, I know. I apologize in advance for the length. Thanks for your help.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.