Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
Bad link for me. This one worked for me (not interested):

http://www.preferredstockinvesting.com/v5/pages/notifsrv_sub...
What's this newsletter,s record of past performance?
Not interested

But it sounds like its more for data than actual recommendations. Sounds like it might be useful to those who want to trade preferreds around ex-dividend dates. or those searching for the highest yield or best risk/reward ratios.
No. of Recommendations: 2
But it sounds like its more for data than actual recommendations. Sounds like it might be useful to those who want to trade preferreds around ex-dividend dates. or those searching for the highest yield or best risk/reward ratios.

Correct.

It does NOT make recommendations. It just provided data and indicates those issues which meet his 10 criteria.

I have used this service for several years. It's a great time-saver and IMHO well worth the fee -- if you are interested in preferred stocks. In his book ( <$25 at Amazon) he points out that you can get the data yourself for free and do your own number-crunching.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Five or ten years ago preferred stocks were excellent investments--especially while interest rates were declining.

Now with interest rates so low, many quality issues have been called and often they are priced at a premium over their call price.

QuantumOnLine.com is an excellent source of information on them.

With interest rates starting to rise, you need to be very careful investing in preferred stocks.

I sold most of mine or they got called. I have not bought one in years.

Not recommended unless you have a very good reason.
No. of Recommendations: 2
pauleckler,

You wrote, Not recommended unless you have a very good reason.

I don't know. I mean, I no longer actively research preferreds either. Most of my new cash goes to stock (mostly index fund) investments now. But I still think preferrreds are a decent alternate fixed income investment.

I still hold a few that haven't been called. And aj485 still uses them for her mortgage payoff fund. They may no longer offer any real capital appreciation; but there are still some decent issues that offer a respectable yield.

- Joel
No. of Recommendations: 1
OK, Joel. Maybe I overstated the case.

Old issues purchased years ago can be ok (but most can probably be sold for nice capital gains now that interest rates are so low).

One needs to be very careful buying shares now. Those with nice yield are often junky. Those with investment rating are usually priced at a premium over their call price.

Yes, you can probably get better yield than on CDs but that is not saying much. Dividend stocks might be better. At least they won't be called out from under you.

Do research them carefully.