Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
A month after being sworn in as President, one of the first conversations I had with anyone outside the White House was with our dear friends, Bob and Elizabeth Dole, at their home in Washington. Bob had recently been diagnosed with lung cancer, and we were there to offer the same support, love, and encouragement that they showed me and Jill when our son Beau battled cancer, and that the Doles have shown us over the half century we’ve been friends.

Like all true friendships, regardless of how much time has passed, we picked up right where we left off, as though it were only yesterday that we were sharing a laugh in the Senate dining room or debating the great issues of the day, often against each other, on the Senate floor. I saw in his eyes the same light, bravery, and determination I’ve seen so many times before.

https://www.politicususa.com/2021/12/05/president-biden-pays...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Dole seems like a good man, and one with an unimpeachable record of public service, but that only makes it even more perplexing that he could EVER endorse Trump.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Dole seems like a good man, and one with an unimpeachable record of public service, but that only makes it even more perplexing that he could EVER endorse Trump.

Perhaps you need to think about that some more.
No. of Recommendations: 4

Dole was old school. He believed that party unity should always be shown in public and any disagreements with fellow party members should be handled behind closed doors.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Dole was a true war hero who gave his arm for this country.

He became a greedy corporate Republican who spent most of his career making the rich richer.

He capped off his life by endorsing Trump.

Let me say that again. He endorsed the worst man who has ever run for office in this country. Either he should have known better or he took the money and looked the other way. That is more than enough to undo any good he did.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Trump's tribute: "Well, too bad about Dole but he was a RINO and a loser. Lost his arm in the war. I don't like soldiers who lost their arm in the war. LOSER!"

Or something like that.

But maybe someone else will write something decent for him to recite.
No. of Recommendations: 5
I always admired Dole for his sly wit and for his service and bravery in respect to his disability.

But I detested his politics then. Now, in comparison to present GQP politicians he seems quite amazing.

Although entirely expected, it is sad to see the degradation and nazification of the former republican party.

Wessex
BEFORE trump - is there *one* positive post or even *one* positive sentence you wrote about Republicans?

Link please.
g0177325
Dole seems like a good man, and one with an unimpeachable record of public service, but that only makes it even more perplexing that he could EVER endorse Trump

Anyone with developed critical thinking skills does the same.

Dole WAS a good man. Disabled vet Dole had advanced critical thinking skills. (In addition to obvious skills in public elocution.)

Hence his Trump endorsement.

Folks who go to work daily to make this American pop stand function, likewise have useable CT skills. With their dependable commitment a bonus.

There are folks who never developed useful CT skills; they're destined to continue forever on their own blind journeys. They are championed and encouraged on by folks who know better, but enjoy seeing their infamy in leading ignorant masses to self-destruct.

(Naturally, the Pelosi's and Schumer's of the Congress refer to them as supporters.)