Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Presently working on "Good Poems," edited by Garrison Keiler. It is just a wooooooonderful collection of poems, arranged thematically as only Keiler can.

My wife gave it to me for Christmas. I read from it to a 98 year old woman from church when I visit her. She published an anthology of her poetry when she was in her late 70's. Macular degeneration is setting in so I just read a few poems to her.

She is a classicist who pines for the days of meter and rhyme. We were discussing, "what then is poetry if there isn't metric and rhyme?" <She knows I free free verse>. I grabbed a book sitting on her mantel, from Billy Collins, the US Poet Laureate:

"The urge to tie the poem to the chair
with rope and torture a confession out of it..."

She immediate saw the humor in his words, howled in laughter, and said, "I give up."

IvanGrowth
LakeCheddar
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.