Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
Got an 'invitation' in the mail today to apply for the "Prestigious" Visa Black Card.

It is "Luxury without limits" (not counting the credit limit of course)

It is "The ULTIMATE BUYING TOOL" (emphasis theirs)

The card is made of stainless steel and carbon fiber. (oooo shiny)

It is a privilege to be invited (according to the invitation).

And all this can be mine for a mere $495 a year for the first cardholder and $195 for each additional cardholder and a paltry 14.99% interest rate and 25.24% for cash advances. (APR goes to 30.24% if you are late with a payment according to cardhub.com)

The lovely black cardstock made very pretty confetti in my shredder.

(Time magazine named it the #1 worst credit card available)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Prestigious? Whet the hack makes it prestigious? My first thought if I see somebody using that card will be, "moron."

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 2
the elf opens my mail for me sometimes and he was also incredulous at the offer when I received it ...But what do you GET for that, that you don't already have?

peace & Thurston Howell III
t
No. of Recommendations: 0
It is for those who what to buy a status symbol and can't afford the real thing. The American Express "Black" card is invitation only, and has (for an average people) breath-taking annual spending requirements, plus an annual fee of $7,500.
No. of Recommendations: 2
FlippoHip,

You wrote, Got an 'invitation' in the mail today to apply for the "Prestigious" Visa Black Card.

This the Barclay's card? Yeah, I got that one a couple of weeks ago too. I might still have it in a pile in the living room as I don't think I've shredded any credit card offers lately.

Not very exclusive if they're offering to people like us, eh? What a joke. And its not like they even offered a serious cash-back incentive like the Platinum Card offer Amex keeps sending my way.

- Joel
No. of Recommendations: 15
vkg,

You wrote, The American Express "Black" card is invitation only, and has (for an average people) breath-taking annual spending requirements, plus an annual fee of $7,500.

The $7,500 is just the first year. The annual fee is $2,500 and there is a one-time initiation fee of $5,000. They claim they're targeting people that will spend at least $250,000/year on the card. But from what I've read on review sites, customers have been grumbling that they've stripped the card's benefits down to about the level of their Platinum card.

Also, It is for those who what to buy a status symbol and can't afford the real thing.

A credit card is the dumbest status symbol I've ever heard of. In this case, it sounds like it might be intended to show how stupid you are with your money. Great symbol.

Personally I'd rather have my status symbol be having enough to never work again. And a nice house in the mountains. Or maybe on the ocean with a view of the mountains might do. ;-)

- Joel
No. of Recommendations: 1
My status symbol will be my very own private dedicated credit card offer shredding assistant. Young, cute, just follows me around wherever I go, giggling and saying, "Yes Mr. XTN, I'll shred that offer for you right away!"

She'll do absolutely nothing else. Don't get me coffee, don't shine my shoes, nothing. Just follow me around all the time, waiting for that occasional moment when I have a credit card offer that needs shredding.

She wouldn't even shred anything else. Only credit card offers. If I want my receipts or old bills shredded, I would have to call in somebody else.

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 0
A credit card is the dumbest status symbol I've ever heard of. In this case, it sounds like it might be intended to show how stupid you are with your money. Great symbol.

I agree, but it doesn't change that they are targeting those who are willing to part with money for a "pseudo" status symbol with the hope that others won't notice that it isn't the real black card. The credit card still exists, which means their must be enough suckers to keep it viable.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Since Capital One lets you pick your own design, why not just design an all black card with the words "BLACK" and maybe "PRESTIGIOUS" (or possibly PRETENTIOUS) on it?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Since Capital One lets you pick your own design, why not just design an all black card with the words "BLACK" and maybe "PRESTIGIOUS" (or possibly PRETENTIOUS) on it?

I would design a white card - because it's pseudo-racist, and it would probably get noticed more, and if someone asked about it I would say "It's like the Black card, except obviously better".
No. of Recommendations: 3
PRETENTIOUS

A perfect description