Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Prestone,

Assuming a trader is in the 39% tax bracket, because of taxes they only carry over 61% of their profits (after commissions) each year for their own CAGR. The trader then must attain a return that is 1.64 ($100/$61)X the return of the Long Term Buy and Never Sell.

I don't have the time to test that assumption in a spreadsheet, but I don't think you're right. The reason I think that is because I did construct a spreadsheet awhile back that assumed 15% annnual pre-tax growth. One investor sells every two years. The other holds for 30 years before selling. Though both investors were enjoying the benefits of long-term capital gains, the investor waiting for 30 years to sell had an after-tax value that was 70% higher than the other one.

If I'm right that your assumption is wrong, it's because you are only taking the taxes into account. I don't think you're taking into account the compounding of all those lost funds paid to the taxes.

If you want to construct a spreadsheet to test your mathematical assumption and show me that I'm wrong, I'll be open-minded. And if you want me to e-mail my spreadsheet described above to you as a point of departure, I'm happy to do so.

As for my experience using gorilla-like strategies before the book was written, I will agree that I've bought the right stocks for the wrong reasons and the wrong stocks for the wrong reasons in the past. I've been very fortunate that I survived those episodes in good financial health. :)

--Mike Buckley

P. S. Please, that offer is only good to Prestone. I'm swamped with stuff and don't have time to handle all the e-mail I fear I'll get.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.