Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Just re-read this to refresh my memory prior to starting his latest, Innocent, which is almost a sequel. Ended up thoroughly enjoying it all over again!

As a big fan of courtroom crime fiction, I found the trial sections absolutely spell binding. Stern is probably one of the most complex and intriguing criminal lawyer characters I've come across so far.

Amazing how Turow manages to conceal his fiendish plot almost till the last few pages of the book!
--------------------------------------
Global Gains Home Fool
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Cogitarius.

I'll have to read "Presumed Innocent." The only Turrow I've ever read was his "One-L" which is practically required reading for anyone about to enter law school - that's when I read it. Seems like a long time ago now.

If you like courtroom fiction, you might enjoy "Anatomy of a Murder" by Robert Traver (actually John Voelker, now deceased, but a former Michigan Supreme Court justice, whose other books were all humorous tales of fly-fishing). It's a little dated but really first-rate. Very enjoyable.

best,

John
No. of Recommendations: 2
Ditto for some of Micheal Connelly's books, especially the Lincoln Lawyer, Concrete Blonde, and Brass Verdict.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks John for suggesting "Anatomy of a Murder" - looks like a classic I've missed out on.

Loved 'One-L' too - an inspiring account of what it takes to get a top class law degree.

I'd enjoyed keeping pace with Turow's earlier works, but - as tends to happen with prolific authors - found him getting a little jaded towards the later stages.
----------------------------------
Global Gains Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for your suggestions - haven't had a chance to try him out as yet
-----------------------------------
Global Gains Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 1
I like Turow a lot, he's such a good writer - really sets him apart from some of the others. The characters, the backstories, the fictional Chicago he's built - really amazing.