No. of Recommendations: 1
Pretty much buyer beware. And rules vary from program to program and will also change during a program's life.

Some never expire. Some require some form of activity to keep them alive. Some expire after a period of time (e.g., points earned will expire 24 months after earning them). Etc.

And even going to a web site, it can be hard to decipher when they expire.

I've probably lost a sizable amount of points with American West and others in the past. I try to be better now but with 1,000,000+ points across credit card companies, airlines and hotels, it is tough to keep track of things. And time does fly.

Hertz had a "massive devaluation" according to:
https://onemileatatime.com/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-devaluati...

Rich
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
It took my by surprise that my Gold Rewards points were increasing for last 2.5 years and then bang they expired.

My advice is do not horde points and miles. They don't earn interest and are likely to be devalued. If you have 'em, use 'em.
No. of Recommendations: 3
My advice is do not horde points and miles. They don't earn interest and are likely to be devalued. If you have 'em, use 'em.

===================================================

Saving miles and points can have significant monetary benefits as explained below:

My saving points and miles has given me the opportunity to take my family on numerous vacations in (America and Europe) with free airfare, free hotel stays and free rental cars.

I have had lots of points and miles in my life. I was Delta Platinum member for many years. I had elite frequent flyer status on TWA, American, Northwest, Alaska and other airlines for many years. I am a Marriott/Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite member now and a Lifetime Platinum Elite member for over 20 years. I had Hyatt and Sheraton elite status for years. I was always in the top category of Hertz, National and Avis rental programs for years.

But now that I am retired and doing a lot less traveling, I let my vigilance lapse on my Hertz Gold Rewards. I did not pay attention to the policy change 18 months ago.

The reason for my post was to remind others to pay attention to the terms and conditions of their airline, hotel and car rental programs to avoid expiration of points and miles.

jaagu
No. of Recommendations: 1
Pretty much buyer beware. And rules vary from program to program and will also change during a program's life.

Some never expire. Some require some form of activity to keep them alive. Some expire after a period of time (e.g., points earned will expire 24 months after earning them). Etc.

And even going to a web site, it can be hard to decipher when they expire.

I've probably lost a sizable amount of points with American West and others in the past. I try to be better now but with 1,000,000+ points across credit card companies, airlines and hotels, it is tough to keep track of things. And time does fly.

Hertz had a "massive devaluation" according to:
https://onemileatatime.com/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-devaluati...

Rich