No. of Recommendations: 11
For about a month now, I’ve been going through my bond holdings, trying to sell off my mistakes, under-performers, and less-than-advantageous positions. Predictably, when I solicit a bid, it comes back at less than the inside-market. Such was the case just now. On 01/28/11, I bought a single of Valmont’s 6.620’s of ’20 at 104.250 (all-in). My projected YTM would have been a very modest 6.0%, and the annual loss to inflation (assuming a 5% inflation-rate) would have been (0.1%). So the purchase was mostly “parking money” rather than an attempt to appreciate capital. [Explanation: I don’t like to carry more than 5% cash, and I will buy whatever I have to in order to get spend it down.]

This morning, the inside-market for Valmont was 111.250 x 113.250, suggesting that I could get out at better than my purchase-price. So I solicited a bid and was offered 108.030. That was a low-ball. But I was offering out just a single, and I’d capture a couple points of cap-gains. So I accepted. Just now, a text message came back: Price improvement. Execution was at 111.071. So my YTM over my holding-period jumped to 17.9% (after commish), compared with the originally projected 6.0%. And this isn’t the first time a price-improvement has happened for me at E*Trade, either getting in or getting out.

I have no idea how E*Trade is for other asset-classes. But I find them to be a consistently excellent bond-broker in terms of breadth of inventory and executions.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.