No. of Recommendations: 0
I may be purchasing my first new house from a developer and have a question. I am interested in buying a home in a luxury-type subdivision in the town I'm moving to next year. The final phase will start being sold in September with the finished houses starting to be released in April of 2002. Another, much larger subdivision I looked at there 2 months ago raised the price on their cheapest house from $368,000 to $418,000 about 2 weeks ago. The saleswoman at the subdivison I'm interested in says they are surely going to raise their prices, as well.

I'm also looking at existing homes, but there are fewer on the market than there are buyers, so anything nice seems to get sold within days. Last week two houses I was interested in sold before I could even drive out there to see them. The market there doesn't seem to have slowed down at all like the market here in San Francisco, where some houses in my neighborhood have taken a month or so to sell recently.

In such an environment, is there any point in trying to negotiate any extras if I decide to buy one of the new houses in the development I like, or am I dreaming? When my brother and his wife bought a new house about 5 years ago, they were able to get several upgrades thrown in. Is the sales office going to laugh in my face if I try this?

The agent I'm working with for the existing home search told me they had no slowdown during the winter like they usually do. Since I've been investigating house prices there since last fall, I know he is telling me the truth. Very little came on the market and everything sold very quickly. So buying in the fall won't put me in a stronger negotiating position unless the market there starts to lose steam by then. (The town recently passed a slow-growth measure whereby no new housing can be built without voter approval, so this is driving up the prices by crimping the supply.)

ab

Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.