No. of Recommendations: 0
I tried to use priceline.com to buy a new car. I thought, what the heck, maybe I can save some money.

Well, I try to be a good little Fool, so I do some homework first, as well as, visit A LOT of local dealerships. By doing this, I have managed to get a very good price ($100 below invoice - how the dealer makes money on that, I don't know, but they were willing to sell at the price).

Being the miser that I am, I try to squeeze more from this purchase and jump online. I submit a bid at priceline for $200 below invoice (granted, at ~15,000 dollars, 100 doesn't make much difference, but it's the thought that counts).

Needless to say, my offer is rejected. They give me a special tracking number and tell me to call their rep. I do and they look at the bid and tell me it was just too low. No dealer would want to sell at a loss.

I then politely explain that I already have an offer for 100 below the invoice and I'm just trying to save a little more money. The person's reply: Oh, we aren't here to save you money.

Stunned, I hung up and resolved to never consider them again.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.