No. of Recommendations: 0
I went out and bought a new printer this morning. It's a Canon MG6220. I brought it home, and installed it, and everything says that it's installed. I can make copies. But when I try to print I run into trouble.

I get as far as the box that says, "Add printer." And I can't enter anything. The screen simply will not let me type. There's a bright blue band across the top of the box where you would click to do a search, but nothing happens. I cannot get anything to accept an entry.

Any ideas? I'm running Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.8. I just checked for updates and there was nothing. I was using a USB cord to connect, and had the Canon cd in at the time.

Nancy
banging her head in despair. Since I already have a headache, it doesn't make a difference.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Nancy,

I don't have any specific advice, but in my experience you very rarely need to use the software supplied with the printer to get it to work with a Mac. So here's what I would try:

- Quit any installers that might be running
- Remove the CD
- Unplug the USB cable to the printer
- Turn the printer off
- Wait 5 seconds
- Turn the printer on
- Plug in the USB cable
- Open System Preferences
- Select Printers (or Print and Scan, or whatever it's called)
- Click the + to add a new printer

I'd be shocked if you don't see your printer listed in the box that pops up. It's been a while since I've installed a printer but I've never had it not work.
Prepare to be shocked.

It didn't work.

Nancy
Prepare to be shocked.

It didn't work.

At this point I'd start suspecting the USB cable or connector (is it seated all the way, do other devices work when plugged into the same port, try a different USB cable, etc).

Maybe this one is special but I don't know of any printers made in the last 10 years (from the major manufacturers, at least) that won't work with a Mac right out of the box. There might be some custom features that require the manufacturer's driver but in generally they just work.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Wot
I think I found it. While searching "Printer Dialog Box doesn't work" I found a reference to pop-up blockers. Disabled the one on Safari, and I'm printing.

Nancy