Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi,

I love this board (though I don't post much) and am hoping you all can help!

I am making a baby quilt with pictures from children's story books on it. I have made two of these in the past using Iron-Ons which I've gotten a copy center to make for me (from the books). The big problem with the Iron-ons is that the colour isn't very bright/strong and they fade badly over time/washings. It's also expensive.

At the local quilt shop they suggested that I can treat the fabric using treatment solutions, freeze 8.5X11 sized pieces of fabric and then run them through my colour ink jet printer (printing from a scanned image of the book).

I'm wondering if any of you have experience making "memory quilts" or printed shirts and have tried this method. Are there any special tips/tricks? My printer isn't the best printer in the world (colour is okay on paper though) - will that be okay?

The quilt shop also runs a service where I can have them print the images onto the fabrics for me. I could do that but I'd love to do it myself.

Also, as a side thought, does this technique work with laser printers? Is the quality better/worse with a laser printer?

Thanks in advance.

~crazy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.