Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Prior I invested in growth stocks and conservative investments ie. CDs and Bonds

I've been retired over 14 years with no pension-no annuity- Minimal SS (Never was a high earner-numerous illnesses kept me from working for 3 years early in my marriage- Other illnesses later required me to take funds out of my IRA's for a few years to make ends meet in my later working years. Finally in 2003 at age 70 I just packed it in with not much to go on. Actually I needed to be successful in investing in the market because my original retirement assets were used up by Nov 2008. With no income I started spending on day one of my "retirement" I learned how to invest (after some mistakes) on the Yahoo message boards. I learned by asking questions. A lot of questions. I interpreted the answers as best I could by researching and reading and posting information-press releases-articles of interest on the boards, constantly looking for feedback so I could learn how to make a living.

I always looked for growing income as opposed to capital gain because I believed that income was more stable than capital appreciation.

I would like to hear your definition of "conservative investment"

With cost of living increases growing at a compound rate of over 5% per year--Tying up money for years at 1% or 2% in CD's and/or Bonds are a losers game.

My expenses in 2016 were almost 4 times higher than my expenses in 2003, the year I retired. And in 2017 they will be higher that in 2016.

To know where you are going and what you need it probably would be wise to track your expense. It takes less than 5 minutes a month to do.

All my income--SS checks go into checking acct. Any additional money I need I draw a check from my taxable acct and deposit into my checking account. All expenses come out of checking account by checks or ATM cash withdrawals. End of month add up checks and ARM amounts and you know exactly what you spend to the dollar, and it took you less than 5 minutes to know. Once you know what you spend the only other thing you need to know it be able to generate more than you spend (And don't forget taxes-because taxes are spending) The more you generate than spend, the more your portfolio can and will grow.

b&w
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.