Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Private equity is the place to be, that's why all of these pathetic MBA programs now have growing "Private Equity" clubs. For the record I have my MBA (CFA as well) and only did it because I knew the game, I barely went to class and had a great two years of fun, met my fiance there, and have some other great friends. I didn't "learn" anything and I'm sure most people in MBA programs don't if they already had a basic business/finance background.

Hi Dizzy99,

You sound pretty bitter about the entire system (your post sounds a lot like a previous one http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25176944). I haven't been through the machine like you have so maybe I am a bit naive, but I still believe we largely have a meritocratic system in higher ed. Yes, legacy admits do get in (George Bush went to Yale undergrad and has an MBA from HBS for God's sake) but that represents only a fraction of the admits. I know there is a game to be played. I know that there are feeder schools to post-undergrad IB jobs that are feeders into specific business schools (like Harvard), but I have every reason to believe that if you are an outstanding person, you will get what's rightfully yours. It is harder than it should be because of the legacy admits and the children of bankers who have had their career progression mapped out since they were fighting to get into the best pre-schools, but that isn't everyone. I spent two years on my own going through community college. Today I am looking at Dartmouth and Yale as target schools (based on talks I've had with a lot of qualified people inside the machine) and I don't have rich parents and went to a public high school. I am applying to almost every first-tier school, and from the discussions I've had with prior b-school adcom staff I have a pretty good shot at most of them.

Thanks for your thoughts about private equity, btw. They confirmed my thoughts. I think this may be an area I will pursue. I admit not having pre-MBA banking experience puts me at a disadvantage, but I'm hoping to get my way into a good banking summer internship to help mitigate this somewhat. I may not be a candidate for the top HF jobs because of this, but I bet I could get my way into a bulge bracket bank if I want to bad enough.

-WBJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.