Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking a private loan consolidation options. It seems that there are no fixed rate possibilities out there.

If I cannot find a fixed rate, would it be better to have an interest rate that is set above the 3-month LIBOR, or above prime? What about consolidation advertisements that indicate UP to a certain percentage over prime? Aside from extending the term of the loan, is there any benefit then, to consolidation of private loans (particularly if they're with the same lender?)

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am going to post a reply to my own question. My DB directed me to the historical trends of the rates of the 3-month LIBOR and prime:

http://www.briefing.com/morningstar/mtgdata/prm_lbr.htm

I had gotten the sense that LIBOR could be more volatile, and the graph gives a sense that historically, the two used to be about the same. Since the interest rates I were comparing were about 3 points over LIBOR versus 1 point over prime---the prime would be a safer bet.

As for my question about consolidation, the answer is not really, especially if there are new origination fees involved.
Print the post Back To Top