Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am a certified secondary teacher. I substitute teach occasionally (receive W-2 for this), do some tutoring (self-employed), teach community education classes each semester (could be paid but am not), and volunteer with an after-school elementary program. During the spring of 2015 I taught a test-prep class at our high school. I had assumed that I would count my travel and expenses (treats, a few books, some printing) as charitable donations (I was not compensated in any way), but could this be considered pro bono work such that these could be considered Schedule C expenses?

Different scenario. This spring, I will be assisting our teachers' association during negotiations doing some behind-the-scenes research, running numbers, and such. How large would a contract have to be in order to consider my expenses (not time) as Schedule C expenses? (Teachers' association is not 501c3, so cannot deduct as charitable expenses.)


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.