Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
ProfessorMJ,

Thank you for your thoughts. They're appreciated. I've always loved that the Fool provides a voice for literally a few million individual investors. Even more important, this community is smart enough that people will actually listen, respond, converse and in general take other posters seriously (at least when merited).

I don't see what I need to defend myself against after your "open letter" (which I'll copy below). I don't see what I should answer to.

"Somewhere" did answer you well, in my opinion, and I appreciate that. As he pointed out, we did not recommend in the column that people short this stock. Our portfolios are examples to learn by (and often we're wrong -- luckily, one can learn a good deal from mistakes).

Other than that, I'm not sure what you're upset about. You believe that I'm lazy and of little imagination. I can't prove otherwise unless you wish to visit me and spend a week with me. Then you can decide for yourself, but at least with some real context.

Other than that, let me know what I can answer to, if anything, because I'm unclear following your open letter to me. Perhaps because it seemed more like an open attack than an open letter. Which is fine. You're allowed that as long as you remain polite. But then you should call it an attack, so rather than try to respond to you in open letter, I would know to respond with a hearty volley of counterattack and we could have a fun little war here as long as it didn't waste readers' time. Which so far I'm afraid it is. For that I apologize to readers.

Thank you again for sharing your emotions.

Foolishly,

Jeff Fischer

your post:
It's laughable that a financially distressed company such as the Motley Fool (or were all those hundreds of Fool employee layoffs a misprint in the Wall Street Journal?) is recommending that specific stocks be shorted, ie. SIRIUS SAT RADIO. It truly takes a lazy man of little imagination--and Jeff, that is you in my opinion--to be recommending short stock picks at a time when economic recovery is just around the corner. There are probably at least 100 different stocks that will at least double in value during calendar year 2002--why don't you help your readers/listeners identify these winners rather than recommending a terribly risky shorting strategy?

Just look at the stinking performance of your RULE BREAKER PORTFOLIO these last two years: if you were as smart as apparently think you are, you would have recommended in the Spring of 2000 that each and every one of your RULE BREAKER stocks be shorted. In fact, instead of shorting SIRIUS, I believe I could make more money over the next two years by currently going long on SIRIUS, and currently shorting each and every one of your RULE BREAKER stocks.

If you, the Motley Fool, was a publicly traded company, an investor would be prudent to short you.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.