Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I've just been promoted to supervisor of my group. After years of trying to avoid applying for the position, I was convinced by the acting supervisor apply for it and I got it. Now that I'm a manager, I get to do all the fun stuff like manage people and go to a bunch of meetings. Whee!!!!!

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Congratulations!
Thanks!

I'm wondering if congratulations is the right word.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm wondering if congratulations is the right word.

Yeah, I wondered about that.

I can remember running for elected office, and winning. People were congratulating me, but I kept wondering if I condolences would have been better :-)
People were congratulating me, but I kept wondering if I condolences would have been better :-)

"Congratulations, and I'm sorry."

PSU what made you decide to take the promotion *now*? Money, inertia, hit your head too many times, ....?

impolite
PSU what made you decide to take the promotion *now*? Money, inertia, hit your head too many times, ....?

Yeah, probably the hit on my head. I wasn't wearing my helmet at the time.

It was a combination of things. Money was a factor. I have 4 years until I retire. I have a pension that is based on my 4 highest years of income. It just matched up time-wise. It doesn't hurt that my raise is 24%.

I'm also the best qualified for the position, including employees of other sections. It takes a lot of experience to do any job in our group effectively. We've lost 2 people to retirement and they were replaced with someone with 1 year of experience and someone with several years of related experience but no direct experience. The acting supervisor spent several hours several weeks back trying to convince me to take the job. He came in from another group and ran it pretty efficiently so he knew the process of coming up to speed on running the group. Also, I've been here over 25 years so I know everything that is involved in getting the work done. I've been involved in management meetings for the past year. Yes, they were probably grooming me. I just need to learn how to manage people since I don't have experience in that area. I've been the technical expert for a number of years now and have done the bulk of the work. That was the one issue I have with taking the job. I'm leaving a big gap in the work load of the group that has to be taken up by the inexperienced staff and whoever I find to replace me.

PSU
all the fun stuff like manage people and go to a bunch of meetings. Whee!!!!!

good luck with that...

peace & fun
t
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have 4 years until I retire. I have a pension that is based on my 4 highest years of income.

Not a surprise to me - having spent most of my career in the public sector. The other piece of timing for you is likely a decline in domestic responsibilities now that the kids are grown up.
No. of Recommendations: 4
The other piece of timing for you is likely a decline in domestic responsibilities now that the kids are grown up.

While they are highly independent, their mess has not left the house yet since they have not left. I got to change the locks. In all seriousness, the older daughter is in law school so she is living at home to save on living costs and the younger daughter is living at home to save up for a down payment on a house. We don't mind. The younger daughter will probably move out in about a year and she may take her sister with her.

PSU
But what about the horse ?
Yes, I was wondering how the horse is doing, too.

And congrats? on the new challenge. Perhaps it will liven up your last few years.

Cosmos
But what about the horse ?

I'm still paying for it. We'll probably turn over the financial commitment to it once the older daughter finishes law school. She has two more years.

PSU
Yes, I was wondering how the horse is doing, too.

The horse is doing fine now. We're not quite sure of his age but we estimate he is 16 years old. His showing days are likely over. He has not been to a show since he had a serious foot injury about 5 years ago. He did have a serious eye injury last year that required a trip to the NC State Veterinary School. He has recovered from that. Once the daughters settle in to where they live, we'll move the horse to a farm near one or both of them.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 5
Congrats, PSU.

Best managerial advice I ever got was from one of my first managers. He said, "it's just like having kids, except sometimes your kids listen to you."

So there's that.