Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I married in 2013, so this is my first year of joint filing. I sold my primary residence halfway through 2013, and moved to my husband's home. (That home met all the qualifications for property tax deduction.)

Because of the sold home, I paid no property taxes directly at the end of the year, but in the home purchase settlement agreement, the tax amount was prorated for the approximate half year I owned the home and taken into account in the sale. So I basically paid the buyer that amount, and they (I assume) payed the property tax bill.

So do I take that amount listed for those taxes from the HUD-1 Settlement statement and add it to property tax deduction amount that we are claiming for my husband's home? I am allowed to claim the deduction amount for that, aren't I?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.