Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Property tax is normally collected by the county and not the state.

Who said New Jersey ever did anything normally?

I may have mis-typed and confused you. Because I pay Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax, State Property Tax (that all goes to County Tax, Library Tax, District School Tax, Regional School Tax, Local Municipal Tax, Open Space Tax, and Muni Open Space. And I make my tax payment checks payable to the town in which I live, and they take care of it from there.

But the state gives rebates from property tax to some people, depending on lots of things. So it is easy to confuse me. Perhaps, since I deduct my state property tax and perhaps my state income tax from my federal forms, if I get a refund from it from the state, I have to include the amount of the refund (listed on the 1099-G) as income the next year, since I deducted it the previous year and the state later gave some of it back. But they do not send those 1099-G forms anymore.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.