Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The property tax bill for my home (primary residence) includes an annual sewer charge of several hundred dollars. The charge is assessed to each residence in the sewer district’s service area. I’m leaning toward the conclusion that this is not deductible, based on this from Pub. 530: “You cannot deduct the charge as a real estate tax if it is… a periodic charge for a residential service such as a… $240 annual fee charged for trash collection…” Am I missing something, or is this is really a utility bill (and therefore non-deductible) in the eyes of the IRS, despite the fact that it’s paid via my tax bill? I can’t opt out of the service, and I’d have to pay even if the house stood vacant for the full year, if either of those facts matter.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.