Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 44
PS, not so much, with your whole uterus-having condition. But hey, sammich.

Like I said - there was a lot of "No there is NOT a war on women!" coming from that side, but a whole lot of pretty words couldn't cover up the obvious actions to that effect.

My very own father, bless his heart, still can't figure out why everyone was all {incredulous} that all men testified during the hearings on the birth control exemption.

Uh duh.

I read a piece (oh, that I could find it again!) online about a major difference between how the two parties view racism. Hang with me here, it'll get back to gender.

The basic premise of the article was that Republicans think something is racist only if the INTENT of that {policy, law, whatever} is to discriminate against non-whites. Democrats view something as racist if the effect of the {thing} is a disproportionate disadvantage to non-whites, regardless of the intent.

While the article was a little thin (and overly simplistic to boot), I think the idea can be applied at least a little, especially in regards to gender. Taken separately, abortion rights, religious exemptions for BC (which have been discussed at length on my board, so totally no shock on how I fall there), the Ledbetter debate, etc. all probably aren't seen as discrimination - they are seen as "policy debates".

However, *to the affected group* - women - they are as a whole outrageous. They add up to what feels like an assualt on the gains made by our foremothers.

Top it off with remarks about "the good ol' days"? Yeesh. No "War on Women" my ever-widening azz.

impolite
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.