No. of Recommendations: 0

First, I nothing specifically about what you are asking to do.

I am going to guess the thing you want to put money into is organized, tax wise, as a trad IRA/401K/403B or similar structure. They have pre-tax contributions, all are taxed as ordinary income on withdrawal and are subject to RMDs when you reach 70 1/2.

Roth IRAs/Roth 401Ks are not eligible for pre-tax contributions, are tax free for withdrawals and are not subject to RMDs.

The two systems are authorized by completely separate legislation and have nothing in common.

In general, the Roth accounts are considered the top-line accounts. That is why you seem the movement options going to them not out of them. For me, a Roth is a clear winner.

You can call the IRS, they may be able to explain it, but they are not law makers. That is up to the 535 plus 1.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.