Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
ptheland,

JeanDavid wrote, Now I have sold 100 shares of it. I have all the confirmation slips, but do I match them FIFO or LIFO to satisfy the IRS? ... Since I sold on-line using my broker's web site, I have never specified what lot to sell.

To which you replied, Since you did not specify a lot to sell at the time you sold the stock, you sold the oldest shares.

From what I recall, TD Ameritrade has an option to change the default order for the disposal of shares. In fact I don't recall being able to specify individual lots at TDA - only select from a handful of available ordering rules.

As you know cost basis reporting was not always required. However I'd had my TDA account by way of Datek and Ameritrade. And from what I recall, they all tracked cost basis at least internally using a third party software called GainsKeeper. So even if the shares sold were acquired before 2011 when cost basis reporting became mandatory, I'm pretty certain it's possible to get the cost basis from the TDA website ... unless perhaps the shares were acquired through a different broker and transferred over before 2011.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.