Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
ptheland writes (in part):

The longer answer: To the extent that the refunded amount didn't provide any tax benefit in 2004 (in this case, due to your being subject to AMT), the refund of that tax is not taxable income.

I reply:

Thanks, Peter. Let me run some numbers. For ordinary taxes, I'm comfortably in the 28% marginal bracket, and I have ample mortgage interest to more than use up the reduction in my itemized deductions. Thus, every relevant dollar of state taxes paid reduces my ordinary income tax by $0.28.

My AMT (Form 1040, Line 44) is $270.91 and I will receive a state tax refund in 2005 of $1,623.86. I have no "unusual" AMT items -- in particular, no capital gains of any sort. Of my refund, $967.54 = $270.91/0.28 is the portion from which I received no tax benefit. Accordingly, the taxable portion of my refund will be $656.32 = $1,623.86 - 967.54. Will I indicate "tax benefit rule" on the appropriate line of next year's 1040? --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.