Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Pub 561 says the date for determining FMV for a donation is "date the stock is transferred on the books of the corporation."

In your case, the relevant date is really when the stock is transferred by Ameritrade to the charity. As far as the company is concerned, the shares are at Ameritrade, both before and after the transaction.

You say that All I see from Ameritrade is "12/07/2017 14:56:32"
On what kind of document do you see that?

The stock does appear in their [the charity's] account and they've informed me they'll sell the shares tomorrow [Wed. Dec.13]at market open. How do I determine what the date is for "date the stock is transferred on the books of the corporation."?

Again, the books of the corporation really don't come into play. Ameritrade is really acting in the place of the corporation here. The shares are in the charity's account [today, Tues. Dec. 12]but did they land there on Friday, Monday, or Tuesday? Whichever day that was, use the average high-low for that day.

And then odds are the acknowledgement letter they send you will be different because they'll probably tell you what the net proceeds they got from the sale was. Which is NOT the correct number to use.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.