Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, is probably the best IRS starting point for everything about taxes.
Of course, you can also find good information in any of the large commercial tax guides sold in bookstores.

Your Social Security withholding does not go anywhere on your tax return except in the case where you worked for more than one employer and your total W-2 earnings exceed the maximum Social Security earnings of $76,200 (for 2000).

Losses within any IRA are not deductible.

All your interest is income, unless it was generated from investments in securities which are exempt from federal taxation (typically municipal and state bonds).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.