Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have researched the Fool archives as well as other resources on the net and have read various commentary on: 1) when one is required to pay estimated taxes; and 2) when one is subject to a penalty with respect to either failing to sufficient taxes and/or failing to pay taxes due in a timely manner.

I think I understand the if's, and's and but's as far as when estimated taxes are required. I get confused, however, in reading when the penalty applies. For example, it appears that a person could technically incur a penalty even though he pays 100% (or more) of total tax due, or even if he is due a refund for the tax year.

As best I can comprehend, the above example would occur as a result of the person failing to pay his taxes timely. Even that part makes sense.

My specific sticky point is determining what constitutes "timely." My wife and I are retired, and our pensions are subject to routine withholding each month. I have even included additional taxes be withheld to accommodate routine dividend, interest and other incidental income (excluding capital gains) anticipated throughout the year.

I exclude capital gains because I typically buy and hold. I might go several years without realizing a capital gain. For that reason, I have just been dealing with the gains as they occur.

With all of the above facts in mind, if I realize an unanticipated spike during a year due to a capital gain and that gain (when added to all of the income from other sources) is going to result in additional taxes due of $1,000 or more, is it considered "timely" for me to pay the taxes (at least enough to bring the overall additional taxes due to below $1,000) resulting from the gain by the applicable due date for the quarter during which the gain was realized?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.