Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Pump (retail) prices have very little correlation with Brent/WTI crude prices, I am afraid.
Most governments have fixed pump prices and gasoline is taxed heavily. For example here some gas prices:
Holland: $1.10 p.liter = $4.18 p.gallon
UAE (Dubai):$1.03 p.gallon
I think in USA ( but correct me if i'm wrong) the gasoline prices are not regulated, so indeed there should be some correlation in US with crude pricing. I guess the supply/demand for gasoline in US has to be behind these increasing pump prices (summer driving season!?).

On Iran increased production: don't forget Iran has over 60 million people and some of the cheapest gasoline prices in the world........so domestic demand growth (which is quite high) takes in incremental crude production. To really surprise you:
Iran IMPORTS yearly for over $100 million worth of super unleaded gasoline, since the local refiners can't make enough of the stuff........!

OPEC production numbers and quota always have to be analysed carefully before making conclusions.
Another growing issue is that ,while OPEC and non-OPEC members may agree on crude production/export quota or cuts, the members are also big petroleum refiners + exporters. And global supply of products like naphta,fuel oil, gasoline, diesel is not OPEC regulated,so members can "cheat" by increasing their products export, subject of course they have the refinery capacity available to process the barrels.
It's complicated.............
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.