Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
My three favorite things in life are eating my dog and not using commas.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Lets eat grandma
As somewhat of a sports junkie, every time I see anything about the Oakland baseball team, I cringe because it's "logo" is "A's". Why, I ask, the apostrophe?
it's "logo" is "A's". Why, I ask, the apostrophe?

It never occurred to me -- but yes, you're right! However, I think it looks a lot better with the apostrophe. It's too short and visually squished without it.

=sheila
... every time I see anything about the Oakland baseball team, I cringe because it's "logo" is "A's". Why, I ask, the apostrophe?

Maybe it's a result of the team having originally been called the Athletics -- and then having that shortened to the "A's". This could be a case of using an apostrophe to indicate missing letters, as is the case with "should've" or "would've". On the other hand, we have such a thing as minding your p's and q's, so maybe when you get a team of A's together, that's exactly what they are -- and not a team of As.

The apostrophe can certainly be tricky at times. It performs a number of different functions. And think of how often people confuse "it's" with "its"!

culcha
I thought adding the apostrophe was a rule. It shows that A's is used as the plural of A; and not the word "as".
Are the players on their bench called the B's or is that just BS? :-)
It shows that A's is used as the plural of A; and not the word "as".

I guess that's why A's is so much more pleasant to look at than As!

=sheila
I guess that's why A's is so much more pleasant to look at than As!

Indeed. That's also why we mind our p's and q's, but not our ps and qs.