Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Pup talks about departments and VP's, so I'd guess the pre-layoff staff was 500 or so. Much bigger than that and ...

I won't get into specific numbers, and will leave details generic enough that I won't identify the company. Hopefully, I will live you all with the Scott Adams impression: Many people will SWEAR I work for their company, too.

Your point about folks being promoted into management positions too soon actually isn't the problem in this case (though there have been a few instances of that). In our case, we have too many people with too much experience (but experience on other things) that clog up the top of the company. As we sit today, 1 out of every 8 employees is a vice president. Many really were VP level of experience, but you don't need that many chefs in the kitchen.

As a result, issues never get delegated down to the lower managers, or senior staff. I'm not overly impressed with a lot of our middle/upper management, but we have several outstanding staff level people in other departments. But, quickest way to make someone unhappy in their job is to make them bored. Those outstanding people are never challenged, because nothing ever gets delegated down.

My example: I'm in an R&D role. I've done some work lately that the VPs in my area (who, unfortunately, have NO clout) love. I've shown them a working prototype of a product that for a small 5-digit expenditure, I can develop something we can see 6-digit profits on every quarter. They love it, so they escalate it to the executives.

The executives are too busy writing the ninth copy of the workplan, and the twelfth edition of the strategy and vision statement, and the fifth version of the methodology...blah, blah, blah...they have no time to look at a real, live, working product that could actually make us some money. The Titanic is sinking, and they are too busy discussing whether the deck chairs should be placed in a line or in a circle.

--WP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.