Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted this question in though I have not received response yet. Hope it is OK to repost the same question here.

We plan to purchase a retirement home in a foreign country. I understand that we are not required to report the property to IRS, until we sell it.

Below is what I see from IRS website:
Q3. Does foreign real estate need to be reported on Form 8938?

Foreign real estate is not a specified foreign financial asset required to be reported on Form 8938. For example, a personal residence or a rental property does not have to be reported.

My question is: can I simply write a personal check with say, $150,000 USD for the down payment from my checking account? This money is already taxed. Do I need to report this money or fill out any forms? We will have a mortgage and pay monthly payment also.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.