Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife has a 403b at Edward Jones. She has two American Funds. Capital World Growth and Income fund - Class A (CWGIX) and Capital Income Builder - Class A (CAIBX). The funds have done OK compared to the S&P 500.

Here is a link. I don't know if it will work or not.

http://stockcharts.com/charts/performance/perf.html?CAIBX,$SPX,cwgix

The question is: Every time we check Stock Charts against the purchase price, her purchase price is about 4 dollars higher meaning she pays more than everybody else does for the stock. This "mark up" is after the 5.75 percent sales load.

Does everyone run into this problem?

Thanks
Qazulight
Print the post Back To Top
When you look at charts it's crucial to note the dates. Comparing purchases on one date against benchmarks on another date you'll nearly always come up on the short end of things. At least it seems that way and it's a rule that's surely named for somebody. I have to question the $4 figure since that implies an enormous load (unless you're talking an uber-pricey fund). You could certainly import fund price history into MS Excel and generate direct and valid comparisons for any combination of dates you like.

KennyO
I don't know how to explain the problem, but I'm pretty shocked that you'd voluntarily pay a sales load. I think they're one of the biggest ripoffs in investing, one notch below using a Merrill Lynch full service broker.