Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We've had two pairs (or one family, can't quite tell,) of Purple Finches at our feeders for a couple of months now. Haven't ever noticed them before, and they are pretty.

They especially seem to like the black oil sunflower, but will occasionally visit the feeder containing mixed seed. Sometimes will also peck at the suet/dough feeders.

I noticed they'll sit and eat for quite a while, commandeering a feeder for minutes at a time. (Although typically only a singular bird.) Not like the chickadees, who flit about, taking one seed and flying off to open and eat it.

And the finches will sit near the same feeder, but not at the same time, as the woodpeckers. Rather solitary, I guess.

Earlier this morning, had one downy woodpecker, one purple finch, and one chickadee on the feeders at the same time. Wish I'd had the camera. Will have to wash that window in case another photo opportunity presents itself.

MadamHusker 1

~ How common are Purple Finches in north central Texas? (DFW area) Read a little, but haven't noticed them until now, and we've been feeding the birds regularly for a few years now.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.