Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Put $2000 a year in a Roth IRA. If that means you have to reduce your contributions to the 457 or the savings bonds, you will be better off. If you are married, put in $2000 for your spouse too.

Almost all 457 plans that I have heard of charge an extra 1% annually, which has the effect of reducing your total accumulation by about 20% over a period of several decades compared with what it could be in a Roth IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.