Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Although I have been extremely busy the past year, particularly as a member of TMF's Leadership Team, I have attempted to keep up with the postings on this board. The nature of submissions here has changed significantly in the past few months. I'm copying from my initial post on the AMSC board ("Just Discovered Board" http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12149067) and interspersing my current comments. (For anyone not familiar with English composition conventions, the brackets [ ] enclose changes, clarifications, etc. within a quotation that were not in the original.) I have italicized what I wrote in that first post on March 7, 2000.

First let me state that AMSC is a major part of our portfolio. My husband bought in less than a year ago at 11 1/2 after considerable DD. He is an electrical engineer, so he read everything he could find on the technology before he decided to invest our savings primarily in 2 companies with emerging technologies, one being AMSC.

When I became aware of and my husband told me we had acquired the first stock in American Superconductor, I didn't know anything about the stock market and was not aware of the existence of The Motley Fool. Since then I have researched every aspect of the company other than the highly technical side. I leave that to my husband, although I have read and perused tons of material about superconducting and am no longer a complete dolt on the subject. We have bought and sold with the peaks and dips of the Market and according to our immediate financial needs (such as our kids' college tuition). But a significant percentage of our portfolio is still AMSC stock.

Then I decided to take the Fool's Rule Breaker Seminar [or rather my husband persuaded me to take it so I would quit bugging him with such inane questions as "What does the Stock Market do?"] After reading their [original TMF Rule Breaker Seminar] material thus far and researching on my own, I consider AMSC to fit the criteria of a Rule Breaker, but it probably won't be considered by the "team" because of the comparatively low market cap.

As it turned out, I guess I was more persuasive than I thought, because our team did vote for AMSC as one of our final candidates. We were, however the only team to submit American Superconductor. For a look at what has happened since those final selections were made, it might be of interest to some of you to review what I posted in "On Track & On Target" (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13811544).

To illustrate the roller coaster these stocks have been on, when I started tracking this dummy portfolio, it had a value of approximately $6000. On January 10, 2001 this portfolio was worth $1868.00; January 17 when I checked it had a value of $2212.25 for a return on the investment of –41.14% and an annualized return of –64.08%, not counting the total loss of LHSP. Today its value is $1,170. 62 for a return of -63.14%, again not counting LHSP. Here are the numbers at the closing bell today.
 # of Shares  Price 3/17/00 Cost   12/30/00      1/17/01     7/10/01    Current Value
AMSC 24 40.50 $972 22 3/4 34 7/8 19 5/8 $470.88
BLDP 10 95.50 $955 69 1/8 70 1/4 43 5/16 $433.20
JNPR 4 237.50 $950 124 7/8 136 3/16 25 5/32 $100.68
LHSP 8 118.25 $946 Declared Bankruptcy 9/29
PLUG 8 121.00 $968 11 13/16 27 18 3/32 $144.68
RBAK 3 317.00 $951 69 13/16 48 9/16 7 1/32 $ 21.06

I said back in November, "The point of this exercise is that if you look at AMSC in perspective, it has done pretty well against a field of obviously overvalued stocks." That still holds true.

By following some guidelines I have formulated in the past year and a half (which I will post separately), we have been able to keep our portfolio from going into the red even on days such as this when there are losses across the board. There have been times the future for American Superconductor has looked pretty bleak, based on the Market and analysts' evaluations and predictions. I've watched us lose and gain thousands of dollars on AMSC daily, time after time. But I reiterate what I said a few months ago on this board:

DISCLAIMER: We hold a sizable position in AMSC and will continue to do so as LTBH, barring financial collapse of the company, which seems highly unlikely regardless of current Market conditions.

It's great to see so many posts from new people interested in American Superconductor. But I hope we will all be fortunate enough to continue to hear from those board veterans who not only have a vested interest in the company but also have expertise in the field. We all need their input.

Judy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.